Higher Education Institutions
This section of the site focuses on the work that has been developed by the Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) partners of the LEP pilot project. They include:
- University College London
- London South Bank University
- University of Sussex
The work has focused on three particular areas; these are:
- How to take an already established curriculum and develop new and innovative ways of delivery to enhance the student experience acknowledging the changing student profile due to widening participation successes
- Developing new degree programmes that maintain the required technical knowledge to deliver competent engineers, whilst expanding to embrace emerging technologies relevant to our changing society
- Promoting and nurturing links with key employers in the engineering sector and encouraging them to help in the development of new foundation degree programmes
All the work has been externally reviewed and in some cases, research papers have been presented at international conferences and published in peer reviewed journals. They include:
- Delivering Inclusive Engineering: A practical tool to promote best practice when developing and enhancing engineering courses - Research Paper on developing inclusive engineering teaching materials.
- The London Engineering Project – A Higher Education Institution Model - This paper looks at the LEP as a model for change in HEI's.
- Using weblabs as a tool to support a culturally diverse student cohort - This paper looks at potential issues that may be encountered by engineering departments in the delivery of their curriculum to a more diverse student base.
- Reviewing the Effects of Revision Packs and Streaming on First Year Engineering Maths - This paper describes how one engineering department reorganised its maths provision in order to better support current and future students.
- Transitions Issues Report March 2007
- WP Perceptions Report July 2008
- Remote Laboratories in the Curriculum - Reviews the use of remote laboratories
- A Remote Access Laboratory for Collaborative Learning – a review on how remotely operated laboratories can be used to encourage the students to collaborate.
They all can be downloaded at the end of this page.
A Remote Access Laboratory for Collaborative Learning - PDF (165 Kb)
Remote Laboratories in the Curriculum - PDF (160 Kb)
Transitions Issues Report March 2007 - PDF (215 Kb)
WP Perceptions Report July 2008 - PDF (69 Kb)